Friday, June 7, 2013

Ten songs not to skip

You ever notice when you have 500+ songs on your iPod that you end up skipping half of them? Sometimes I'll download a CD or a song and listen to it a billion times, then a few months later I see it pop up and hit next without thinking, but some songs I can't help but stop and listen to. So I put my iPod on shuffle and here's the first ten songs I didn't immediately skip. :)
Click on the song title to link to its video on Youtube.

10: Battlefield by Jordan Sparks
I actually fell in love with this song when I saw it performed on So You Think You Can Dance. It's a great song about what it is like to fight with someone over and over again even though you love them. Plus I think every fighting couple should do this dance whenever they fight.

9: Because of You by Kelly Clarkson
I know this song is about Kelly's relationship with her mother, but I like to think it can pretane to any relationship that ends in major damage in someone's life. I know I've had friendships that have made it "hard to trust not only me but everyone around me".

8: Rockstar by Nickelback
This song is just fun. It's pretty much just an anthem to being a rock superstar. Yes it's dirty and that's not how being a rockstar really is, but it's the same fantasy that made Guitar Hero such a hit at my house.

7: I Dreamed a Dream-Michael Henry and Justin Robinett tribute to Les Miserables
Don't get me wrong, I love every version I've ever heard of this song and I love them all, but this is my favorite. And before you ask, no, these guys are not gay, nor do I think they're singing a gay version of the song. I know they keep the line "And still I dream he'd come to me, that we would live the years together" unaltered, but I think that's more out of respect to the origonal piece than to make any sort of message. I love these guy's music. Check out more if you get a chance.

6: Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood
Part of my love for this song is that I was getting to know this new friend as we drove somewhere and it came on the radio and we both just belted it. It sealed our friendship. His name is TJ and he writes with me over on Mormongeeks. The other part of why I love this song is that it's just fun!

5: My Freeze Ray from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
It's ironic that these two are back-to-back, but what sealed this song and this whole series for me was that I was once out in the rain with my friend Tyler singing this at the top of our lungs while waiting for a bus. This whole production is fantastic anyway, I love Neil Patrick Harris and Joss Whedon.

4: White Rabbit from Sucker Punch
I know a lot of people had a problem with this movie, but one thing you can't argue is that the music's great. I love Alice In Wonderland in anything anyway, and this psychedelic song in the middle of an equally psychedelic movie made me buying the soundtrack on the way out of the theater.

3: Home by Breaking Benjamin
Like Alice in Wonderland imagery, I love Wizard of Oz concepts. A little heavy metal for me goes a long way, so the songs I do like are few and far between, and this little gem is definitely near the top of my list.

2: Chasing Cars by Grey's Anatomy cast
This is another remix where I like the tribute more than the original. I think this song is just prettier with girls in it, and then when you add it to the emotional pull which for me is Grey's Anatomy, then it becomes something I sing along to on the bus.

1: You Were Mine by The Dixie Chicks
This is one of those songs that's just so sad you can't help but love it. I love the imagery it creates as well as the characters. You can really see this woman suffering and how big of a dirtbag this guy is. Plus the chorus is just catchy.

So that's my list for now. Maybe later I'll do another, after all, if these were all the songs I stopped on when I listened to my iPod, I'd never listen to music. :)
-JOE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes of the Realm Chapter 6: Lies

The moonlit night was enough for Thayne's half elven eyes to see clearly by. He followed behind Bud easily through the dark forest, supp...