Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cosplay idea?

In September Salt Lake City is getting its first Comic Con. I of course am going, as if I'm going to miss that, and of course being a major fan-boy of so many things I'm going to cosplay, but what I want to cosplay as may be a little...
Controversial...



No, I'm not cross dressing.


And yes, I realize that Harley Quinn is essentially a boy version of the Joker, so I'll basically be the boy version of the girl version of the Joker. So then why don't I just go as the Joker?

Well, the thing is, I've already been the Joker.

Me as the Joker
Earth 11
I have no problem being the Joker again, but I want
to try something different, plus I've always loved Harley Quinn. I've talked about my fandom of her before, so I'll just say I love her as a character. As for the gender thing, I've recently been reading a lot of discussion on male and female societal norms, like how we automatically associate girls with the color pink and boys with blue. I also read a piece about how female super heroes can be inspired by male super heroes (IE Batgirl and Supergirl) but no male superheroes are ever inspired by female super heroes (IE why we have no Wonder Boy or Cat Boy). DC has done a gender-swapped universe (though they barely used it) so it's not an alien concept, but it's still taboo.
Other cosplay enthusiasts- be glad I'm not wearing a star-spangled speedo.

So what do you think? Should I go for Harley Quinn or should I find a more traditional male character, and if so, who?
-JOE




No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes of the Realm Chapter 6: Lies

The moonlit night was enough for Thayne's half elven eyes to see clearly by. He followed behind Bud easily through the dark forest, supp...