Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Naked Truth

You wanna know a secret?

Come here get close.

I like getting naked.

TMI? Well how about this-

I like getting naked with my buddies.

And no, it's not gay.

It started a few years ago when I found myself with a Gold's Gym membership and no idea how to exercise in the gym. My friend, who for confidentiality sake we'll call Michelangelo, also had a membership so off we went. The first time was beyond awkward, especially after years of high school locker rooms where the other boys never got past their underwear. Luckily Michelangelo didn't have my same high school experience, he being a practiced runner, so off came our shorts.

Piece I did in my art class a few years ago
The first time was awkward. I'd never been that comfortable with my body, believing that I'm built like Gollum from that old Hobbit cartoon. But standing there in that smelly locker room (bleach and sweat, yay?) I felt something. I felt seen but not judged, and I felt like I was seeing a part of Michelangelo I had never seen before (not just THAT), he was being physically vulnerable with me, and I with him. This experience increased our relationship exponentially, creating a new level of emotional intimacy.

I've since had several opportunities to take my clothes off with other guy friends, many of which were set up by me. Each time I feel the facade I set up every day, the "me" I try to project to the world falls away and my authentic self can show through, and I find that I can authentically be with the people around me.

Naked time hasn't just been confined to moments in the locker room. After taking an intriguing life drawing class my artist friend, whom I shall call Scooby, and I will hold drawing sessions with our friends in which our subjects will disrobe for the sake of art. This allowed me to reach a different level of connection since now I had to actively STARE at my friend's naked body while I try to draw it. The first time I did this with friends was with Michelangelo again, then later Scooby and I arranged one. I found myself enthralled with the human body, it's subtle shapes and lines, how light plays off of human skin...

Sorry that was getting a bit artsy. Back to the matter at hand...

My overall point is that hanging out naked with my buddies is fantastic. I create a safe place of authenticity where I can be myself in every sense of the word, and they can be themselves in turn. It's fun, it's manly, and an overall good time and I would recommend it to anyone who can set up the same.

-JOE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heroes of the Realm Chapter 6: Lies

The moonlit night was enough for Thayne's half elven eyes to see clearly by. He followed behind Bud easily through the dark forest, supp...